Suggested Resources for More Information on Macular Hole Surgery
- Biofreeze gel (also available through Vitrectomy.com)
- Sqush pillow: Available at some chain drugstores and online
- Dry shampoo: Available at most drugstores and online
- Ergo Spa Lounger: I found this lounger to be of tremendous help, but I can no longer find it on the internet. The product is basically a lounge chair with a hole for the head so you can be face-down and read a book on the ground/floor. I advise you to search for: “Sun Lounger with Head Hole” or “Lounge chair with Face Hole” or “Portable Adjustable Garden Beach Sun Lounger Chair Bed with Headrest Reading Hole.”
Author’s Contact Information
I am not a medical doctor and cannot give medical advice. If I can be of any help or support to you, feel free to contact me. The recovery process is challenging, but it’s worth the great effort required.
Joy R. Efron, Ed.D.
My remarkable visual recovery would not have been possible without the skill, professionalism, and compassion of the following people:
- Fawaz Wagih Kaba, M.D., my retinal surgeon
- Mathew Yen Wang, M.D., my cataract surgeon
- Leonard Efron, Ph.D., my husband, who provided constant and devoted support
- Macular hole patients openly shared their experiences and gave me valuable guidance, particularly appreciation to Christiane Emonin and Jean Worfolk, R.N., Ed.D.
- A large number of professionals, family members, and friends provided information and gave generously of their time and support
The articles I have written would be lacking in quality without the encouragement, knowledge, professionalism, and patience of the following persons:
- Leslie Burkhardt, CLVT, low vision specialist, encouraged me to put my experiences in writing to help other patients
- Paul Deiter, M.D., retinal specialist, who guided and critiqued my work to ensure that the medical information is correct
- Leonard Efron, Ph.D., my husband, edited and critiqued my articles to ensure that they are written in understandable layperson’s terms
Copyright 2010 Joy R. Efron, Ed.D. Updated August, 2023