Classroom for Teachers with Low Vision
Welcome to our virtual classroom designed to show how to accommodate individuals who have some degree of useable vision. Although not every teacher with low vision will need or want every accommodation pictured, we are trying to show you the range of tools available that might benefit such educators.
Technology That Might Be Used in a Classroom for Low-Vision Teachers
- Bold-Line Paper and 20-20 Pen
- External Speakers and Headphones -Accessibility usually involves listening to information using some sort of speech-access product on a computer. External speakers and headphones are essential tools to consider in any office. The headphones allow for private listening without bothering coworkers who share the workspace. There are no specialized products in this category, and personal preference will dictate what is used.
Gooseneck Desk Lamp
- Large Display Wall Clock
- Large Print and Talking Calculators
- Large Print Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Large Print Grade Book Items such as large print grade books can easily be customized and made by individuals with low vision. A person can simply take a regular grade book and enlarge it with their office printer or make their own using large font and a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
- Large Print Wall Calendar Wall calendars may be purchased commercially only critical information in large print. Usually, workers who are low vision prefer a simple black-and-white format without decorative designs or pictures in the background as these calendars can be more easily read.
- Screen Magnification Software
- Tactile Globe
- Video Magnifier/CCTV