- This event has passed.
RISK ASSESSMENT, SAFETY SUPERVISION AND LIABILITY FOR ORIENTATION AND MOBILITY
February 23, 2021 @ 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm PST
Details: With the onset of pandemic conditions and a concerted focus on equitable services to learners regardless of barriers imposed by lack of teachers or where learners live, new strategies and methods for service delivery are popping up. Tele-service is finding its way into the mainstream educational and rehabilitation venues. While O&M instructor proximity to the learner for instruction and safety supervision in the traditional model has been a given, the use of technology or other assigned staff/parents are being trialed in place of instructor proximity. It is crucial for the O&M instructor to understand the potential added risk to the learner and instructor liability risks when using methods that are not yet researched and tested. “Risk Assessment” is a term used in the ACVREP Letter of Guidance (April 2020) yet to this point, a risk assessment protocol has not been developed.
- Understand safety supervision as the keystone responsibility of O&M instructors and the many factors that play into decisions around it
- Know how and why the Risk Assessment Matrix was created
- Know how to use the Risk Assessment Matrix
- Understand the basics of lawsuits involving negligence
- Understand how the scope of practice influences liability
- Know the potential risks of using synchronous technology in specific circumstances when providing remote or virtual instruction
- Understand the training and supervision responsibilities of the O&M who is using an assistant per IDEA
- Provide feedback and influence next steps for the field.
Presenters: Bill Koehler, M.Ed, COMS, TVI, Founder and President of Taking the Lead, LLC and Sarah Moreau, TVI, COMS, CLVT, owner Arctic Vision, LLC
CEUs: 1.5 ACVREP Credits will be provided at no charge for current CAOMS members, and at $23 for non-CAOMS members.
Participants interested in CEUs for this webinar should complete the CAOMS ACVREP CEU Registration Form via this LINK: https://forms.gle/VPFKMeynEXmgtCsDA
To learn more about this and other N-CAOMS upcoming events visit: https://sites.google.com/view/ncaomsmembership/upcoming-events-webinars or www.caoms.org
____________________________________________________________________________Other Upcoming CAOMS Events:
- Tuesday 3/2/21 @ 10 AM PST: CAOMS Partner Webinar with Lighthouse for the Blind SF titled ‘TMAP: Building Environmental Literacy at a Distance‘. Members will be emailed with additional information once registration is open
- Tuesday 3/9/21 @ 1 PM PST: CAOMS Hosted Webinar ‘A Bill of Rights for All Children with Vision Impairment and Their Families’ https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYtcOqrrzgqGdJOZH4bahI17s3hHGhXD5UU
- Thursday 3/18/21 @ 10 AM PST: CAOMS Hosted Webinar ‘The Importance of Safe Mobility to Achieving Developmental Milestones for Children Who are Congenitally Blind or Severely Visually Impaired’ https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZElc-qtrjoqGtbVz8BkcTNNN8NwCflt4rIx
- Saturday 5/8/201 @ 10 AM PST: Northern CAOMS Business Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAkdOCtrDIuEtcGsGTdklFRgQVxeDJi76Z1
- Friday, November 5th – Sunday, November 7th: 2021 CAOMS Conference ‘Going the Distance’ in Monterey, CA (fingers crossed)
To learn more about N-CAOMS upcoming events visit: https://sites.google.com/view/ncaomsmembership/upcoming-events-webinars or www.caoms.org