Promote your event and share it with the community
- This event has passed.
Introduction to Coding and Coding Accessibility Challenges
March 8, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EST
An event every week that begins at 1:00 pm on Tuesday, repeating until March 22, 2022
Thanks to a generous grant from CDW, The American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is proud to offer introductory coding courses for blind and low vision college students and adults. These courses are designed to familiarize blind and low vision students with basic coding tools, challenges navigating these tools with assistive technology such as screen readers, and techniques for navigating those challenges. Register at this link, or read below for details.
Join Florian Beijers, a blind developer, as he guides students through coding basics. Content covered will include HTML, ARIA, and Python. Students will be introduced to VS Code and GitHub coding tools.
This is the first in a series of four courses. This first course takes place the first four Tuesdays in March, March 1, 8, 15, and 22, from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM Eastern, but all sessions will be recorded and available soon after the live class for those who cannot attend at the scheduled time.
- At least intermediate familiarity with a screen reader with speech and/or braille, or intermediate familiarity with a screen magnification program.
- Ability to use the internet to accomplish tasks such as searching for and reading information, completing forms, and using keyboard shortcuts to navigate, read, and edit.
- Ability to follow written instructions to independently download and install programs and extensions.
- Willingness to participate in the entire course consisting of 4 weekly sessions; each session will last 90 minutes.
- Willingness to spend at least two hours per week on review and homework.
Lesson Plan Goal:
Introduce students to multiple coding modalities and how to navigate barriers encountered.
- Identify three tips for building resilience and preparing to enter the software development field.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of four core programming concepts
- Differentiate three basic tools coders use in software and web development(HTML, Visual Studio, and GitHub) and how each is used.
- Explain three barriers blind and low vision coders sometimes face using these coding tools with screen readers, screen magnification, and Braille displays.
- Practice three techniques blind coders have used to address these challenges.
Materials Needed: Computer with Internet access; screenreader with speech output or Braille display and/or screen magnification
Register for the course at this link.